Reciprocal Rights in Mountain Huts
Our members enjoy reduced accommodation rates in all mountain huts belonging to the national mountaineering federations of Austria, Germany, South Tyrol, France, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Slovenia, Belgium, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. A full list of the mountaineering federations to which this applies may be found on our Reciprocal Hut Rights page and details of many of the huts can be found via our Alpine Hut Information page. Allan Hartley, our President, has written Reports on selected huts for our newsletter and details may be found by clicking on this link. We actively support the Austrian hut system through our Hut Fund.
In Category I and II huts in Austria there is always a Bergsteigeressen (Mountain Climbers’ Meal, a cheap but filling evening meal) for members, and only members have the right to buy jugs of Teewasser (hot water for making tea and other beverages).
Alpenverein Worldwide Service (AWS) providing Annual Rescue and Repatriation Insurance
All current members are covered by the AWS rescue and repatriation service during their membership year. The ÖAV insurance policies are provided by Austrian companies and governed by Austrian law. For a summary of cover provided by AWS please click here: Alpenverein Worldwide Service (AWS) providing Annual Rescue and Repatriation Insurance
Cover is primarily for mountain rescue, it is NOT comprehensive travel insurance. You should read the insurance document carefully to ascertain whether you need to take out additional insurance to meet all your requirements. If you have any queries please contact KNOX Versicherungsmanagement GmbH as explained in the document. The AAC(UK) Office is not able to answer questions which seek interpretation of the insurance cover.
We have a wide range of activities in the UK and abroad. Singles are welcome!
- Residential Meets, Day Walks, and Lectures in the UK;
- Residential Meets, Hut-to-Hut Tours, Treks and Expeditions in the Alps and other mountain areas of the world;
We sell a range of merchandise to members only, through the AAC(UK) Office:
- Alpenverein Maps and Publications
- Clothing and similar goods bearing the club insignia
- Subsidised training courses in the Alps and UK;
- Quarterly newsletter with news and reviews of Club activities;
- Expedition Fund to help finance expeditions by AAC(UK) members;
- Discount codes for members, from selected; mountaineering clothing and equipment suppliers; Cotswold Outdoor, Elite Mountain Supplies, Tilley, Cicerone guidebooks and 2TomsUK.
- Members merchandise shop
- Access to the password-protected Members’ Area of our website
The AAC(UK) and the ÖAV
You may find out more about the relationship between the AAC(UK) and the Österreichischer Alpenverein (ÖAV) here.
[Updated 07 December 2016]