The AAC(UK) is one of the largest UK Mountaineering Clubs with over 13,000 UK and overseas members. The principal benefits of membership, at no extra charge, are:
- Mountain Rescue Insurance; worldwide, without age limit and inclusive of repatriation;
- Alpine Hut Rights; discounted accommodation costs in alpine huts belonging to the National Alpine Mountaineering Federations.
In addition, membership brings many other benefits
AAC(UK) uses Pay360 to process credit and debit card payments securely.
If you are interested in any aspect of mountaineering, we warmly invite you to join
Special General Meeting and Incorporation at Hollowford Centre, Castleton, on 8 October 2016
The SGM was called to transfer the Club to a Private Company Limited by Guarantee. The new Articles and Bye-laws of the Austrian Alpine Club (UK) Limited were accepted (replacing the Club’s Constitution and Standing Orders) and a Transfer Date of mid-November was agreed so that all 2017 memberships will fall within the remit of the new company. The Articles of Association and Bye-Laws can be seen here, click on the links.
The main reason behind incorporation is to give the Club a ‘legal personality’ so that it can take responsibility in its own right rather than the current position where all legal formalities (including liabilities) have to be borne by Executive Committee members in their personal capacity. Adult Club members will be full members of the new company; they do not have to buy shares but give a Guarantee of £1 should the company go into liquidation.
On the membership application/renewal form there is a box to tick to say that you agree to receiving company documents by e-mail. This will save us a lot of money in printing and postage costs!
- First prize for AAC(UK) – Once again, Sektion Britannia has won first prize at the 2016 Hauptversammlung (AGM) in Eisenstadt, for the greatest increase in membership in membership year 2015. Apart from the distinction that goes with this, there is a payment of €1000 and an ice axe. The €1000 will go to our Hut Fund and the axe has been donated to the ÖAV Bergsport department. At the end of 2014 our membership number was 10,499 but this rose to 11,713 by the end of 2015. The actual figure for the end of 2016 is 13,326, another remarkable increase!
- Equipment recall notice – this may affect your safety! (Updated 27/04/2016) For more info and other recall notices see related link on the ÖAV website.
- 3 minute video clip: Alpenverein – Wege ins Freie.
- 4 minute video clip on Stubai Alps.
- 11 minute video clip of The Old Man of Stoer – Sutherland
- 2016: € 10,000 Hut Fund donation to Sektion Schwaz for refurbishment at the Kellerjochhütte (Tuxer Alpen)
- The Spring Newsletter will be published on 1 March. Copy dates for the Summer Newsletter – Copy and photos should be sent to the Newsletter Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday 7 April. Copy for all meets should be sent to the relevant meet co-ordinator by 24 March. (Note that you may send 2 sets of meet information, one for the newsletter and one for the web site (which may include your meet sheet, booking form and photos).
[Updated 18 January 2017]
Please be aware that Membership for 2016 will expire at the end of January 2017.
Photo of the Month
We would like to feature in this position a photograph of members taking part in a recent Club Activity, and we would like to change it regularly. If you can contribute, please email photographs and descriptions to the Webmaster.