Translated from ‘Gegenrechtsabkommen’ as at 05/11/2015 – the German version is definitive.
International Reciprocal Rights
Through an International Reciprocal Rights Agreement, members of the ÖAV enjoy the same benefits in the huts of the mountaineering federations of some other countries, as the members of those federations.
The benefits members enjoy over non-members include reduced overnight fees. In return the same benefits are granted in the ÖAV huts to members of the other federations.
In order to obtain reciprocal rights, members must produce a valid membership card for their federation, for the appropriate year. The Gegenrecht Logo, with the words GEGENRECHT – RÉCIPROCITÉ must be printed or stuck on the card.
This reciprocal rights agreement is between the following federations:
- Deutscher Alpenverein,
- Österreichischer Alpenverein,
- Alpenverein Südtirol,
- Schweizer Alpenclub,
- Club Alpino Italiano,
- Club Alpin Français,
- Federación Española Deportes de Montaña y Escalada
- Liechtensteiner Alpenverein,
- Slowenische Bergsteigervereinigung,
- Akademische Alpenclubs der Schweiz,
- Club Alpin Belge,
- Groupe Alpin Luxembourgeouis,
- Dansk Bjergklub,
- Federazione Alpinistica Ticinese FAT (Schweiz),
- Nederlandse Klim- en Bergsportvereniging.
This means that in addition to the 545 Huts of the OeAV/DAV/AVS, reciprocal rights are granted in another 1,300 Huts in Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, Italy, Spain, Slovenia, Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands.
Note that the Belgische Alpenclub is no longer included in the above list. That Club has been combined with the Vlaamse Bergsportfederatie VBSF in the new Klim- und Bergsportfederatie KBF.
Reciprocal Rights within Austria
In addition to the Österreichischer Alpenverein (ÖAV), within Austria there are also the following mountaineering associations that are not party to the international reciprocal rights agreement:
- Naturfreunde Österreich,
- Österreichischer Touristenklub,
- Österreichische Bergsteigervereinigung,
- Alpine Gesellschaft Haller,
- Alpine Gesellschaft Krummholz,
- Österreichischer Alpenklub,
- Akademische Alpenklub Innsbruck,
- Alpine Gesellschaft Preintaler.
On production of a valid membership card in the huts of these associations, members of the ÖAV and DAV will automatically be given reciprocal rights and with this the reduced overnight rates.
[Updated 01 March 2016]