Reciprocal Rights in Mountain Huts
Our members enjoy reduced accommodation rates in all mountain huts belonging to the national mountaineering federations of Austria, Germany, South Tyrol, France, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Slovenia, Belgium, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. A full list of the mountaineering federations to which this applies may be found on our Reciprocal Hut Rights page and details of many of the huts can be found via our Alpine Hut Information page.
In Category I and II huts there is always a Bergsteigeressen (Mountain Climbers’ Meal, a cheap but filling evening meal) for members, and only members have the right to buy jugs of Teewasser (hot water for making tea and other beverages).
Alpine Association Worldwide Service (AWS) providing Annual Rescue and Repatriation Insurance
The OeAV insurance policies under which OeAV members receive cover are provided by Austrian companies and governed by Austrian law.
For a summary of cover provided by AWS as part of OeAV membership, please refer to the AWS explanatory document as below. NB this cover is primarily for mountain rescue, it is NOT comprehensive travel insurance. You should read the document carefully to ascertain whether you need to take out additional insurance to meet all your requirements. If you have any queries please contact KNOX Versicherungsmanagement GmbH as explained in the document. The AAC(UK) Office is not able to answer questions which seek interpretation of the insurance cover.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF) and may be printed. If you do not have a PDF Reader installed on your computer you may download one free of charge.
In the event of your needing one, here is the Claim Form for rescue, repatriation and medical treatment costs.
For further comments concerning mountain rescue, click here.
We have a wide range of activities in the UK and abroad. Singles are welcome!
- Residential Meets, Day Walks, and Lectures in the UK;
- Residential Meets, Hut-to-Hut Tours, Treks and Expeditions in the Alps and other mountain areas of the world;
We sell a range of merchandise to members only, through the AAC(UK) Office:
- Alpenverein Maps and Publications
- Clothing and similar goods bearing the club insignia
- Subsidised training courses in the Alps and UK;
- Quarterly newsletter with news and reviews of Club activities;
- Expedition Fund to help finance expeditions by AAC(UK) members;
- Details of special discounts available only to members, from selected; mountaineering clothing and equipment suppliers such as Cotswold Outdoor;
- Access to the password-protected Members’ Area of our website
The AAC(UK) and the OeAV
You may find out more about the relationship between the AAC(UK) and the Österreichischer Alpenverein (OeAV) here.
[Updated 10 January 2015]